LCDLA was founded in February 1980 for the following purposes:
- to encourage cooperation among lawyers on a local basis to achieve the purposes of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- to sponsor educational programs and seminars on a local basis
- to receive reports on legislation on the State level involving criminal law
- to promote legislation in furtherance of justice and the common good in criminal law
- to promote local court rules and procedures in furtherance of the common good
- to promote relations with local judicial and law enforcement officers
- to maintain a local appellate brief bank, and
- to otherwise further the common goals, interests, and education of the criminal defense bar of Lubbock County.
Qualifications for membership are an attorney licensed in good standing in the Supreme Court of the State of Texas whose residency or office is in Lubbock County or counties that are entirely or partially located within a seventy-five (75) mile radius of Lubbock, Texas. At the current time the roster of LCDLA shows 100+ members in good standing.